Pages

Sunday, December 2, 2012

Tis' the Season...

Well, my two readers, the Christmas season is upon us.  Even before Halloween came and went, Christmas items were up for sale.  Everywhere you look now, you see colors of red, green and the twinkle of lights.  Inflatable Christmas scenes dot yards while you can see the glow of trees in windows of homes as you drive by at night.  I love the holiday season.  I love the commercial side of it...and I don't mean the getting.  I love the giving.  Nothing makes me happier than to give someone a gift that really makes them happy.  There's something about doing things for others that makes me feel worthy and needed.

As Cruz and I were putting up our tree (for the last time, might I mention, in our townhome...yay!) we got into the conversation of helping others.  Over the past couple of months, he and some of his co-workers have been collecting items and taking them to homeless people throughout Winston Salem.  During their trips, they began giving out food items, water, personal hygiene items and other small tokens to help those who don't have anything to make it comfortably through the day. During our tree trimming, Cruz asked me that his co-worker had wanted to know if there were any families at my school who could use donations for the holidays.  As I continued to string the white lights on my matchy-match, commericalized tree, I became overwhelmed with emotion.  Although I know that Christmas is a season for "giving", I am very guilty of thinking of giving a wrapped trinket, a hand-made ornament or a scarf to a friend or loved one.  His question made me step back out of the commerical side of Christmas and really think about what's truly important.  As cliché as it is, giving to those who have nothing is what the season is really about.  Do I need a Christmas tree with matching ornaments in my townhome? No. Do I need Black Friday shopping deals at 2:00am? No. Do I need to hang stockings from my bookcase to fill with little "stuffers"? No. All of these things are luxuries.  I am so very fortunate to be able to acquire all of these commercial Christmas traditions when there are folks outside right now as I blog without much more than the clothes on their back. 

I want to continue giving.  I want to make a difference in the life of someone who hasn't had the blessings that I've had.  I want to continue to serve others and feel worthwhile.  I want this last Christmas in my townhome to be the best Christmas yet.  Together, I know that my family and I can sponsor those who are not as fortunate as I am.  Happy Holidays...and tis' the season to give!

“Happiness doesn't result from what we get, but from what we give.”
Ben Carson

1 comment:

  1. You & the two-legged one :) are so special to be cognizant of others in need during the holiday season.

    ReplyDelete