Pages

Sunday, October 7, 2012

Homecoming Happenings 2012

This past weekend, I spent too much money.  I lost too much sleep.  I ate too much junk food.  But, it was all worth it.  As all of you know I am a HUGE Appalchian State fan.  Its not often that I make it to Boone with all of my favorites wrapped up into one large weekend.  After a weeklong bout with hacking coughing, runny nose and pounding sinus headaches, I was feeling well enough to pop the Ibuprofen and take on the weekend like a champ. 

Its been 5 years since I've last been a student on campus at App.  When people say, "Go get high on a mountain" there's more than one meaning to be understood.  Being in Boone is amazing.  Life on the mountain slows you down.  The hustle and bustle is put on the back burner for the relaxation and enjoyment of the sights and sounds that Boone has to offer. I promised myself a little R&R this weekend after busting mine at work for a couple of months solid.

My weekend began with the reunification with my best gal pal from App, Carrie.  In college, we were inseperable.  She's the kind that after two months, I can pick up the phone and not a thing has changed.  You don't find many of those these days!  We enjoyed two full days of each other's company accompanied by our Appaholic tailgate friends, some of my Winston girls, and new alumni friends we made while visiting around town and campus.  We visited the new Reich College of Education, hit up the Appalcart for old times' sake, dined at Macado's and tailgated in the gravel.  I noticed in our conversations with other App Alum, things have definetly changed on and around campus.  I loved sharing stories with others about my experiences in Boone and listening to others' renditions of just how deep the snow was while on the way to class.  Boone is it's own culture.

Being in Boone reminds me of how old I am becoming.  Carrie and I tried going out with the best of them two nights in a row, and by the second night, bed time came earlier than anticipated.  Funny thing is, I was fine with it.  Nothing wrong with falling asleep at 7:30 on Saturday night after a full day of fun on the Appalcart, full of interesting characters from all walks of the world, tailgating from 10:30-3:00, lasting through half of the game in chilly Boone weather and treking it back on the Appalcart on the way home.  Needless to say, I caught up on sleep, graded papers, responded to my students' blog posts and planned early this morning.

As I reflect today over the events of the weekend, I don't mind that I spent too much money.  That money was well spent to create memories of lasting friendships that will never fail.  I don't mind that I slept entirely too much.  That just means I'm getting older, and wiser and that Monday mornings kick my butt without the appropriate amount of sleep for my "old" soul.  I don't mind the junk food.  My gut might disagree, but I enjoyed those delicious Boone tastes.  I don't mind catching up on my school work at odd hours of the day.  Starting a school week with loose ends always gets me in tizzy.  I don't mind being a 5 year alumni of App State.  That part, I actually love.  There's nothing finer than being in Boone, and being a Mountaineer. 

Now, for photos:





"The mountains are calling, and I must go..."- John Muir

No comments:

Post a Comment