Pages

Sunday, March 9, 2014

Patience


Here's a rhetorical question for you...Have you ever really wanted something?

I mean, like REALLY? That something could be tangible. Perhaps it's a million bucks in your checking account. Maaaybe you'd like to have met Abraham Lincoln or Marie Curie to discuss the inner workings of their brains. You could want the chance to a dream job. You've worked and earned the right credentials, but the perfect opportunity hasn't presented itself just quite yet.

No matter what it is, I'm sure most of us have REALLY wanted something in our lives. I, too feel that way. Right now, I want to.be.in.our.house. Daily, I am asked, "How much more to go?!?" or "Wow, you are on the uphill climb!" On Mondays after a weekend, caring people that I work with stop by my office and say, "How's that house coming along?" On the outside, I share the latest updates. I talk about the trim we added, or the dishes I put away, or the inspection that passed/failed/failed/passed. But on the inside I'm screaming, "I WISH FORSYTH COUNTY WOULD LET US SURVIVE WITHOUT HOT RUNNING WATER, FULL HEAT OR POWER BECAUSE I WANT IN!"

You see, we started this miraculous journey almost three years ago. And although I know I am VERY fortunate to have experienced such a thing, I also know I have been VERY patient throughout the entire time. We've had our shares of ups and downs. There have been some tough times, and there have been some victorious times. The people who we thought would be there for us to help, sometimes haven't showed. The people who we would never expect to have the time to help out, have driven up with smiles on their faces and tools in hand to loan. Cruz and I have learned to work through disagreements, through disappointments and through financial hardships. We have learned to work our asses off in the sweltering heat, in the freezing cold and have lived to tell about it. We've shared beers over paint-stained hoodies, Bojangles' chicken and biscuits over cardboard boxes and flashlights and tears the morning we got engaged.

Now, I want to make memories within the house, while living there! We are indeed, very close. Doing something ourselves with minimal professional help was a choice that we made at the beginning. There are times that I wished we could have afforded painters, floorers or plumbers. There are times that I've woken up, feeling defeated because we didn't pass an inspection. There are times that I have driven away, cussing that I will never EVER do this again. At this point, all we need is some hot water, some heat and a little power, and I'd be the happiest person on the face of this planet. But alas, I will have to continue to wait.

So for those who are asking...we're almost there.

Here's to hoping it happens. And soon.

1 comment:

  1. My sweet sweet Renee! You are an amazing person who deserves only the best. Whether that be your soon to be hubby who is your soul mate and best friend or girlfriends who love you to the moon and back!

    God never gives you more than you can handle and has a plan for every move you make. Trying times make you stronger and appreciative of what you have and accomplished. Soon you will no longer feel defeated, but rather empowered by the milestones you and Cruz have reached.

    I look forward to the day when an AMAZING young women marries the man of her dreams on the very porch that witnessed defeat, anger, joy, accomplishment and most of all LOVE!

    I LOVE YOU and hope to be more like you as a strong, talented, and loving friend!

    ReplyDelete