Pages

Sunday, November 2, 2014

Marriage

As you all of my 6.3333 readers know, Cruz and I said "I do" about a month ago!  Throughout the entire wedding planning experience, the engagement period and the years (yes, I said years) preceding our day of wedded bliss, all I heard was about how wonderful life will be after you are married, about why I haven't pushed him to go ring shopping way before more and about "You were really together for 11 years?!

In my experience of watching couples get engaged early, majority live in the moment with a limited or no vision for a future and a hefty load of debt hanging in front of their eyes, I realized that I had as much time as I felt I wanted or needed to get married.  Not that those folks were crazy or foolish for making their choices to get married when they did, but it helped me to solidify my choice to wait until a little later in my life.

Now that I'm a "newlywed" and Cruz and I share a legit last name (WAHOO, thank you hour-and-a-half creepy Social Security office wait experience) I can honestly say there are days that things "feel" different.  We still share the same financial responsibilities, we still follow the same morning routines and I still fall asleep on the couch at night after supper leaving him to clean up the dishes from supper.  But what has changed is the way we look forward to our future.  Not that building a house, getting and financing a graduate degree and working a high-travel, high-stress job aren't all decisions that we didn't talk about, but there's something a little different about the way we discuss certain topics. 

Marriage is a compromise.  It's give and take.  It's accepting each other for your faults, your prosperities and your unconditional love for each other.  Marriage is what I am glad I waited for and what I hold close to my heart.  I sure am a fortunate soul to have been blessed with the love of a strong man, raised by two of the best parents there are out there and to share a vision for the future.

Now, if I could only get used to keying and signing "Gonzalez" as quickly as I can "Hennings" =)

No comments:

Post a Comment